Winnipeg Cab History / 12: The Palace (1)
Previous page Next page Winnipeg Cab History Taxi Library Home

Click on the picture to see a larger version.

The photo looks north along Smith Street from Graham Avenue to Portage. The building in the distance with the peaked tower is the Birks Building, formerly the YMCA. Next door to the Palace is Keachie's first stable, the Fleetwood. On the other side of the small building, next to the Birk's Building, is another stable owned by Michael Hanlon. Hanlon's stable occupied the present site of the St. Regis Hotel.


Palace Livery and Boarding Stables. Archives Manitoba, Outsize 133/162 [Steen, James Elder (1846-1909), Illustrated Souvenir of Winnipeg (Winnipeg, Martel's, 1903) p. 86].

Winnipeg Cab History / 12

The Palace (1)

The Palace stable was built by Morton Keachie in 1882 at the height of the Winnipeg real estate boom. The Palace contained over a hundred stalls and symbolized the boundless optimism of the boom years. It was one of the buildings featured on an elaborate "birds eye" map that promoted the city at the time.

The Palace offered stabling capacity far beyond the needs or Winnipeg right up to 1912 despite the city's enormous growth, but it seems to have retained its mystique as a prestige address for livery companies. Dublin Dan (Charles James) and the Jordan brothers had their headquarters at the Palace in 1882 and Dan moved back there in 1899 when he and new partners formed the Winnipeg Cab Company.

When the Winnipeg boom collapsed in 1884, Morton Keachie was forced to abandon his investment and move back to Toronto. The Palace was used as a warehouse for militia stores in 1885 but it was soon back in business as a stable.


Previous page Next page Winnipeg Cab History Taxi Library Home