Canadian Taxi Driver Homicides: Conrad Bard Previous page    Next page • Driver Profiles

Conrad Bard

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec / June 4, 1971

Conrad Bard, 47, worked for Taxi Nautique in St. Jean Sur Richelieu, Québec, about 40 km southeast of Montréal.

About 12:15 on the morning of June 4, 1971 a man giving the name of "Luc Morin" called the company and asked that taxi number 2 -- Mr. Bard's taxi -- be sent to pick him up at the Hotel National.

That same night a watchman at the Hercules chemical plant noticed a black sedan with a man at the wheel waiting in the company parking lot. On a later patrol he saw that the sedan had been joined by a yellow taxicab. As he watched, a man walked from the cab to the waiting sedan, returned to look inside the cab, then climbed into the sedan's passenger seat. The sedan immediately sped away. The cab's headlights were on but it didn't move.

Accompanied by two other plant workers the watchman investigated the cab and found Mr. Bard's body inside. Mr. Bard had been shot four times in the head and was slumped to his right.

Later the same night a police officer in nearby Ibreville saw a black sedan pull up in front of an apartment building. As the driver walked to the entrance the police officer recognized him as someone he had known for 20 years. It also turned out that the apartment bulding was the home of a security guard who worked with Mr. Bard's common-law wife.

The St. Jean police soon connected the dots. Later that morning they arrested Mr. Bard's wife, her co-worker and the driver of the black sedan. Under questioning the three conspirators quickly confessed.

Mr. Bard and his wife lived together for ten years but things hadn't gone well for the past seven. His wife claimed that she was afraid to leave him because he was jealous. Most recently he had threatened her co-worker. For his part the co-worker denied that he and Mr. Bard's wife were lovers although he admitted that he had considered this prospect.

It was the co-worker who first broached the idea of attacking Mr. Bard. Initially he confessed that killing the taxi driver was part of the plan but he later claimed that he hadn't fully understood the purport of the police statement when he signed it because he was "nervous". The plan, he now said, was to give Mr. Bard a warning that would hopefully chase him out of town.

The co-worker consulted with an acquaintance (the driver of the black sedan) who said the "job" could be done for $700. Mr. Bard's wife, who claimed that she only had thirty cents in cash, managed to get a bank loan for $600 on the pretext of buying new furniture. The three conspirators met on June 3 to confirm the deal. The sedan driver accepted a $300 down payment, the remaining $400 to be paid within 15 days. [Next column]

The Hotel National in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu circa 1910. it has been refurbished and looks much the same today. (Source: Patromoine architectural de Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu)

That same day the sedan driver went to the Frontenac Hotel in Ibreville and, over drinks, recruited a 23-year-old man to carry out the attack. The sedan driver identified Mr. Bard as the target who "needed to have his legs broken".

At the coroner's inquest on June 15 all three conspirators were found criminally responsible for Mr. Bard's death and were bound over for trial. The inquest was adjourned at that point because the police still hadn't located the trigger man, "Luc Morin".

The investigation came to an end a week later when Morin (not his real name) was found dead in his car on a country roadside. He died of asphyxiation, an apparent suicide.

At the inquest Mr. Bard's wife denied planning Mr. Bard's death and said that the men who carried out the "job" did "a little too much for my taste."

The surviving conspirators were all found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment. In 1975 Mr. Bard's wife won an appeal and was granted a new trial. Her co-worker's conviction was also under appeal at the time.